A+ R A-

Piazza Vittorio: The Origins

The origins and the construction of Piazza Vittorio are located at the end of the eighteenth century and precisely around the 1880s (1882-1887). In essence, shortly after the unification of Italy, Gaetano Koch was sent to build the famous "portico" square, which was named after the very first king of Italy.

Therefore, it was decided to opt for a "porch" square to facilitate the movement of citizens, in addition to the most diffuse mode of construction typical of Northern Italy: palaces designed to become authoritative, with a height of 24 meters, and porches of 280 columns. The square, therefore, was perceived as "Piedmontese" and was surely a revolutionary novelty in the very first united Italy.

To realize what was then the largest square in Rome, streets, squares and churches were eliminated, such as Piazza Guglielmo Pepe (where many cultural events of the time were held, including a very first appearance by Ettore Petrolini! ) And Villa Palombara.

Certificate of Excellence 2017

Follow us on Facebook: